10 MARZO 2020
What is Green Energy?
Solar energy, also called green energy, is an increasingly innovative technology in Spain. With solar, we can reduce pollution and become much more energy efficient.
The idea of installing solar panels in our homes or businesses is becoming much more common. We’re starting to like the idea of being self-reliant by generating the electricity we use, and it sounds even better when we think of how we can significantly reduce our power bill, or eliminate it depending on the setup.
Solar energy consists of a system where the energy we use is collected via photovoltaic solar panels.
There are two different kinds of solar panels:
- Connected to the grid (grid-tied): This is for those who opt for a solar energy system but still want to be connected to the power grid. They are able to set up their systems with less components. In this case, you can take advantage of the sun’s energy by installing solar panels and an inverter.
- Isolated from the grid: This home solar system will require the installation of solar panels as well as a larger number of components in order to store the surplus energy. These components include:
- Storage batteries: These are needed so that excess energy can be stored and later used at night or during cloudy days when there is not enough direct sunlight.
- Inverter: Batteries store electricity using the same direct current that the solar panels produce, but an inverter is still needed to transform this direct current into alternating current so that excess energy can be used in your home or business.
What are the main benefits of solar energy?
The most important aspect of solar energy is that it is 100% renewable (green energy), which means that the energy being used is more efficient, more cost-effective, and it produces less pollution. Here are the most advantageous elements of solar energy:
- It aids in the fight against global warming
- It contributes to sustainable development
- It doesn’t pollute
- It is an inexhaustible source of energy
- It creates local jobs and wealth
Electricity produced by solar panels helps us to lower power bills, in the case of grid-tied panels; and in the case of solar panels isolated from the grid, it enables us to be self-reliant in our electricity needs. By producing our own power, we don’t have to be connected to the grid.
What are solar panels made of?
There are currently two types of materials that solar panels are made of. The type of material depends on the use case we propose for a particular system.
There are panels made of polycrystalline silicon (polysilicon), which is a more durable material and which is why panels made of polysilicon are more expensive. Then there are panels made of monocrystalline silicon (more commonly known as single-crystal silicon), which is slightly less durable and therefore less expensive.
But to be clear, there isn’t one solar panel that is better than the other, although which of these types is most recommended does depend on the weather patterns of the location where the solar system is being installed.
- Single-crystal silicon: We recommend this type for colder climates that tend to have more rain showers or storms because these panels tend to absorb solar radiation better.
- Polysilicon: We recommend this type for warmer climates since they absorb heat more quickly and are less prone to overheating.
However, we at Univergy Solar recommend that, if you’re interested in installing a Green Energy system, you contact one of our professionals so they can perform a custom feasibility study for you.
Contact us at email@example.com
Follow us to stay up to date on the latest info!