3 MARZO 2020
Net-Zero by 2050 Goes From Pipe Dream to Civic Duty
The reality of climate change is that its consequences are becoming ever more evident, which means we are already beginning to see many of the significant measures that governments and society in general are seeking to implement in order to slow climate change and reach net-zero emissions by 2050.
Reaching net-zero by 2050 used to seem like a pipe dream for Spain, but now we can see that not only is it entirely within reach, it has become a priority. We’re only two months into 2020, and we’ve already noticed some changes in attitude:
- First of all, the annual UN Climate Conference (COP25) was held in Madrid during December 2019. This was a substantial burst of sunshine for the already-sown seed of economic change.
- On Tuesday, January 7th, the new coalition government announced a new name for the Ministry of the Environment: The Ministry for Ecological Transition and Demographic Challenge, lead by Teresa Ribera. As its name indicates, the “ecological transition” is no longer a second thought—it is a priority.
- On its end, the acting government issued a Royal Decree in April of 2019 that encourages these kind of energy policies, such as regulating energy consumption. The Decree has also, among other things, made compensation for surplus energy a reality, which will go into effect on March 1st, 2020.
- Even the automotive industry can see that there’s no going back. Although there is no definitive date, the ban on the acquisition and sale of internal combustion vehicles is beginning to round the corner, and the largest automakers are already striving to make hybrid and electric vehicles that comply with environmental standards cheaper.
- Some Autonomous Communities in Spain are already implementing different strategies to contribute to environmental targets. For example, on February 28th, even the government of the Canary Islands announced that starting on January 1st, 2021, it will ban single-use plastics throughout the entire archipelago.
These are some of the first big changes we have witnessed since the start of the year, but they will definitely not be the last.
At Univergy Solar we are convinced that a future built on sustainable development and zero emissions is possible, and that is why we work to give our clients attainable, affordable alternatives. We know we can all live in harmony with nature by managing our resources intelligently without polluting the planet.
If you are convinced this world is possible and you would like to take advantage of these big changes, send an email to email@example.com, and we will be more than happy to assist you in your energy transition.
Follow us to stay up to date on the latest info!